If you are uncertain about your rights and obligations in a pending divorce or you are having other family-related problems you need the help of a San Rafael family attorney. Family law is the body of law that governs all domestic matters with the general aim of protecting the rights of each individual within the context of the family. Family law includes matters related to marriage, divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, and adoption law among others.
Divorce law addresses how property will be divided and who must pay spousal support while child custody law determines what will be in the best interests of the child when parents separate or get divorced. Domestic violence is another aspect of family law because it can affect other issues such as child custody and divorce. Depending on the level of violence involved it can also become a criminal offense and hence will fall under criminal law.
Generally, family law matters are dealt with in one of the following three ways:
1. In child custody or child support cases the most favorable option is for parents to settle their disputes amicably and out of court;
2. If this is not possible, disputes will be settled in a Family Court;
3. The third option is mediation where the help of a mediator is called in to help couples handle their disputes and avoid the stress and expense involved in going to court.
Our family law team has specialized knowledge in all family and matrimonial law matters including the following:
– Ante-nuptial and post-nuptial contracts when getting married
– Civil unions
– Contested or uncontested divorce and the division of assets
– Divorce mediation
– Custody and children’s rights
– Parental rights and responsibilities
– Maintenance advice and applications
– Damage claims applicable to adultery or other issues
– Interdicts related to domestic violence
– Adoption law and surrogacy applications
– Child fostering
and many more.
A family law attorney specializes in all aspects of family law and is accomplished in divorce mediation that has lately become popular in family-related issues as an alternative dispute resolution. They can also assist in the drawing up of family plans to be presented to the judge who will preside over child custody and child support matters.
Whether you need assistance with ante-nuptial or post-nuptial contracts, divorce, child custody, child support, domestic violence issues, or any other family-related matters, a family attorney will be able to ensure that your rights are protected as well as that of any children in the event of separation or divorce.